Even though we’re in the dog days of summer, it’s not too soon to begin preparing your children to return to school. For children with developmental and related disabilities, the process of going back to school after several months off can be a little more complex.
Here are some tips to make the experience less stressful and more enjoyable:
- Expose your child to their new classroom before the first day of school.
- Establish a relationship with your child’s teacher as soon as possible.
- Start a school day morning routine before the first day of school.
- Create a plan for transportation and lunch/recess time.
- Include your child in buying school supplies.
- Talk about school in a positive and exciting way!